Transparency | Accountability | Integrity | Service
A Rhonda Hamilton Policy Position Statement on Senior Citizens' Health and Welfare:
Social Security is basically an old age, survivors, and disability Insurance Plan. It provides for citizens to pay into the Trust Fund during their working years, and is designed to replace part of the earning capacity of the participant, or his family, that is lost due to retirement, death, or disability.
During past administrations, the Social Security Trust Fund has been depleted and current payments are being made from current revenues.
Social Security cannot be financed from current revenues, or from the Federal Treasury without raising taxes, or jeopardizing other essential programs of government. Such a policy is irresponsible in my professional opinion..
Rhonda Hamilton's administration pledges to advocate for the Social Security Trust Fund to be restored to a sound financial basis by implementing responsible fiscal policies to insure the following:
- An immediate increase in Social Security payments with a goal of a 60% increase in benefits.
- An increase in the minimum payment to $300, with annual cost of living increases.
- Restoration of the 100% income tax deduction for drugs and medical expenses paid out by people 65 and over.
- Removal of the earnings limitation for people 65 and over in order that they may earn any amount of additional income necessary to help sustain a higher quality of living.
- Implementation of a moratorium, or forgiveness of taxes program, for District seniors whose residential property is in jeopardy of being lost due to non-payment; to help address the threat of homelessness or unstable living circumstances regarding District seniors.
The goal is to make every senior citizen that is living in the District of Columbia, a first-class citizen. Restoration of their dignity, prestige, self-respect, independence and their security, without intrusion into their private lives by federal bureaucrats, and guideline writers will continue to be a primary focus for my administration.